Samantha and Lillieanna

Samantha and Lillieanna
Time for Mommy to take Lillianna's last name

Charlie's Little Piece of the Worls

Monday, June 23, 2008

Five days of smiles.

Today was a day I may remember for a long time, it is the day that Mom and I went to the Dialysis Center for her orientation. We left the house a little before 11 this morning and we went to a place called the Trolley Stop so that Mom could get some hot dogs. The Trolley Stop is a place that we went to a lot when we first moved to the Wilmington area back in 1976, and since we figured that hot dogs would be something that she might not be able to eat after tomorrow we wanted to go there together and share a dog or two. They were as good as I remembered them being, and it was nice with it just being the two of us, eating and talking.

We got to the center around 11:45 and they took us right in and starting talking with us and filling out paper work. We were there until 2:00, and by the time we left Mom was so tired that she was very slow in walking and talking. We came home and she went right to bed and slept for hours.

Tomorrow will be her first treatment, starting at 11:30, and it will last for 4 hours. Please keep her in your prayers.

Did I do something special today to cause a smile? I don't really know. I know that while I was with Mom today I did everything I could to make it easier for her, to help her feel safe, and to keep looking towards the future. When she broke down and cried I was able to put my arm around and her and give her a squeeze and a hug. I could rub her back at times, hold her hand, and when things got to heavy I did my best to make her laugh. How I love this woman!!!!!

Then tonight for dinner Phil, Mom, and I sat at the small table and talked and ate. There were a few times tonight that she would say something funny and just bust out laughing. One time she had to cover her mouth cause she was laughing so hard. It was a nice dinner.

Mom and I sat in the living room and watched a "strange movie", actually Mom was laying down in Hunter's bed and I was sitting at the table. Hunter's bed is in the living room for now, just in case you are wondering. Mom fell asleep, and I looked over at her and there she was sleeping on her side with her three beautiful dogs laying around her and sleeping. It was so peaceful, I looked at them and just smiled. So, maybe today is a day for me to smile, what do you think?

Have a wonderful night.
Charlie

3 comments:

Diana Lyn said...

Absolutely, I smiled while I read your sweet story, how blessed you are to be able to be there for your Mother and how blessed she is to have you. Days like today make the past few months seem silly don't they! You my dear, have so many blessings happening around you! Embrace! Enjoy! Smile! Hugs my friend! Diana Lyn

Sandy McTier Designs said...

Hi my sweet friend. You certainly made me smile - I could just see your mom laughing out loud. AND YES, you smiling counts! It's important for us to smile everyday too!
I'll be praying for your mom today with her first treatment and you as well as you are there with her.
Please send her my love and I pray all goes well today.
Blessings,
Sandy

Unknown said...

Hi Charlie,
I'll be praying for your mom today. You are such a good daughter. I just returned from Vermont. I went to visit my mother for her birthday, she just turned 82. I noticed that she isn't as healthy as she was just a few months ago. This is a difficult chapter knowing how precious our time is with our mom's. I hope everything goes okay today. Blessings, Karen